Our friend Frank Baldassare is a leading chef in gluten-free and allergy-friendly cooking. Try his creative recipes that make everyday healthy and delicious.
The Missing Ingredient® Gluten-Free/ Grain-free Recipe: Roasted Baked Red Peppers stuffed with Lentils
Our friend and colleague Frank Baldassare is a very talented chef who specializes in gluten-free recipes. His brand is “The Missing Ingredient” (no we did not know each other when we named our companies, but we love the crazy coincidence) and you can watch him create kitchen magic in his videos. Definitely try these at home and watch for more excellent gluten-free recipes with our great ingredients soon.
1 cup Casino Umbrian Lentils (soaked overnight)
4 medium size Red Peppers
1 ½ cups fresh Chicken Stock (if you are using a store bought stock make sure it’s gluten-free)
½ cup finely chopped Shallots
1 cup diced Carrots
1 cup finely chopped Celery
1 cup finely chopped Kale
1 Garlic clove pressed
1-tablespoon fresh Basil leaves finely chopped
¼ teaspoon of French Gray Sea Salt
6 tablespoons Parmigiano Reggiano
1 can Roasted Tomatoes For Sauce
Preparing the Lentils
Soak Lentils overnight in warm water. Then rinse twice before using. If I’m working with gluten-free grains or legumes I use this simple step to help minimize the phytic acid found in these foods. The soaked lentils will turn into about 2 ½ cups.
Preparing the Red Peppers
Preheat oven to 425.
1. Wash the red peppers and place them in the oven directly on the middle rack.
2. Roast the peppers for about twenty minutes, turning them every five minutes.
3. Let peppers cool enough so that you can handle them. The roasted pepper should still have firmness to them. On a cutting board cut the tops off and save the pepper portion and discard the stem. If you want to take the outside skin of the pepper off you can. I like to leave it on.
4. Place the peppers standing upright in a baking dish and set aside.
5. Finely chop the remaining pepper from the cut top for use in the stuffing.
Preparing the stuffing
Reduce oven to 375.
1. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet.
2. Add garlic and shallots and stir constantly for about 1 minute. You don’t want to brown the garlic.
3. Add the carrots, celery, kale, chopped red pepper, basil, and salt.
4. Let it cook for about 10-15 minutes or until the carrots and kale have soften. Stirring the mixture every few minutes.
5. Stir in the soaked lentils and combine thoroughly.
6. Stir in 1 ½ cups Gluten-free chicken stock
7. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes, Stirring frequently
8. Stir in 4 tablespoons of the roasted tomatoes sauce and cook another 10 minutes uncovered stirring frequently.
9. Remove from heat and stir in 4 tablespoons of Parmigiano. Stir till combine.
10. With a large spoon fill each pepper with the lentil stuffing.
11. Cover each one with some tomato sauce. (Don’t drown them.)
12. Sprinkle the top of each stuffed pepper with the remaining Parmigiano
13.Tightly cover with tin foil and cook for 40-50 minutes or until you can easily puncture the pepper with a knife.
If you would like to cover the peppers with the remaining tomato sauce feel free. I prefer to put the sauce, and some extra Parma on the table so my guests can add more if they’d like.
Serve with a mixed green salad or on its own.
The Missing Ingredient® is a registered trademark of Cody Boy Inc.
All rights reserved
Copyright © 2012 The Missing Ingredient®